Thursday, December 16, 2010

Then.............and now.




In a month, Trent and I will celebrate our 5 year anniversary of marriage. (I thought I'd better specify what the anniversary was, in case you were thinking dirty things.)

Second marriages are funny. We've both done this before. But neither of us did it with kids.

Trent and I rarely fight. Probably because we don't have time! One or the other of us is always peeling Oliver off the top of the couch, the curtains, the top bunk, the ceiling fan, from under the Christmas tree. Anywhere he shouldn't be. Gavin is pretty easy, he is usually too busy showing us how to use our iPhones.

Regardless, I've been thinking about how much our life has changed in the last 5 years. Here's what I have come up with.

Coming Home
Before: We use to run home to be with each other, jump in each others arms, kiss, end up having sex.
Now: "I have a couple errands to run, then will be there."
"OK, I am going to bed."

Waking up
Before: Wake up, make out, sex. (Ever notice how no one has morning breath when it is a new relationship?)
Now: "Oliver is up."
"Yep."
"You getting up?"
"Will you do it tomorrow?"


Food
Before: One would come home for lunch, the other would have a sandwich ready, complete with sides. Dinner would be a pot roast, potatoes, vegetable, glass of wine.
Now: "Whats for dinner?"
"Oatmeal. You need to bring your cholesterol down."

Dates (if we can even find a sitter)
Before: Dinner at a nice restaurant, maybe a movie, always a bar, go home, have sex.
Now: "What do you want to do?"
"I don't know, I'm tired."
"Me too. Lets just go home and go to sleep."
"Sounds good."

Sex
Before: Wake up, have sex. Lunch time, have sex. Bedtime, have sex. Middle of the night and randomly wake up, have sex.
Now: "Do you want to have sex tonight?"
"Didn't we just do it a week ago?"

*A week later*
"We really should have sex."
"OK, but hurry up, I want to go to sleep."

Yep, life sure has changed.


1 comment:

  1. OMG! Once a week? I am lucky if its once a month :) That is what having two under two who wake up during the night will do. :)

    ReplyDelete